« Memories of a Year in Pictures | HomePage | Review of "If We Can Keep It" by Chet Richards »

Monday, February 11, 20081202783003

The Boyd / Osinga Round Table

Chicago Boyz' roundtable on Science, Strategy, and War: The Strategic Theory of John Boyd has finished. The entries are:

In academia, it's custom to publish these sorts of roundtables. Now the question is if Chicago Boyz will work with, say, Nimble to do the same here.

20:23 Posted in UNL / OODA | Permalink | Comments (9)

Comments

Sure, why not? I have read a couple of books about Boyd and enjoyed them. The solvable logistical challenge in publishing a roundtable is that everyone's got to give permission! (unless you set it up so that participating = permission ;-)

Fred

Posted by: Fred Zimmerman | Tuesday, February 12, 2008

This is the first that I've heard of Nimble.I don't think getting permission will be a problem as we have already posted in the public domain for free. Why balk at paper?

Kind of a thin book though. Perhaps a collection of 5 CB roundtables on intriguing books ?

Posted by: zenpundit | Tuesday, February 12, 2008

Is John Boyd's famous presentation available on a webcast anywhere? I've watched a Q & A session with Boyd which really gives the impression that this man was a keen thinker and I'd like to see more. Anybody know anything?

Posted by: Seerov | Wednesday, February 13, 2008

Seerov,

The only video I have ever found of Boyd is this Q&A session [1].

zenpundit,

And what really needs to be done is for Chet to publish Boyd's briefs together as a book!

[1] http://homepage.mac.com/ace354/Boyd/iMovieTheater39.html

Posted by: Dan tdaxp | Wednesday, February 13, 2008

Only loosely related, I found this article on msn.com

Whether he realises it or not, the author seems to be thinking 5GW.

Posted by: Michael | Wednesday, February 13, 2008

The "Nimble Option" is picking up steam [1]...

[1] http://zenpundit.com/?p=2600

Posted by: Dan tdaxp | Thursday, February 14, 2008

Michael, thanks for pointing out that link. Two comments on Burns:
1) don't underestimate the role of luck and good fortune, in general, but in this case specifically on the side of the terrorists
2) what (economic) misery? seems like a neutral result to me -- the only thing being lost here is what was unduly given in the orgasm of cheap, easy loans -- is it truly misery to take away what never should have been? more like the inevitable reversion to the mean that just feels like it hurts

Posted by: Moon | Thursday, February 14, 2008

Great suggestion Dan!

I'm game to see this happen.

Also, congratulations to you and Fei!

best

Tom

Posted by: historyguy99 | Thursday, February 14, 2008

I really liked Lex's point in that it would get the Roundtable noticed to Amazon searchers for John Boyd [1]... Ultimately, if we're writing this stuff, just as well get it out there.

[1] http://zenpundit.com/?p=2600#comment-6189