« Petrodollars Recycled to America's Underclass? | HomePage | Sex Monger »

Wednesday, January 09, 20081199887120

Sony 1, Microsoft 0

The collapse of HD-DVD (and victory for Bluray disk) in the past week also scrambles the Microsoft XBOX 360 v. Sony PS3 race for second in the console wars. Microsoft has been benefiting from the next-gen video wars because, not only did XBOX 360 support HD-DVD through an add-on while the PS3 had integrated BluRay, XBOX 360 also supported on-demand video downloaded. Thus Microsoft benefit from a win or a draw, while Sony needed a knock-out. (Sony created the Bluray technology, int the same way that company created Betamax.)

Sony got its' knock-out.

Up until now, PS3 sales have been depressed because of the BluRay add-on (who wants to gamble on the next-gen video tech when buying a game machine?), but now its benefits. The XBOX 360's HD-DVD player is now worthless going forward, while the PS3 both will play next-gen movies. You're now longer gambling when you buy a PS3. You're buying a next-gen player that will play filsm that come out a decade or two from now.

Hard to believe this won't increase PS3 sales, which will in turn lead to more game development, which would lead to more sales.

Sony gambled big by including a BluRay player on the PS3. Sony won.

07:58 Posted in Media | Permalink | Comments (11) | Tags: sony, microsoft, bluray, hd-dvd, ps3, xbox 360

Comments

While for once I will admit that Sony has won this round... I sure hope this doesn't mean that you'll be going with a PS3 over a 360 this year.

Posted by: Brendan | Wednesday, January 09, 2008

Combined with streaming that doesn't require Microsoft Memory Hogging Server Edition, web browsing capacity, and the BluRay disk player, there is now no question that Sony is the superior "media" platform, and will remain so for some time.

XBOX 360 is still the superior game platform.

It will be interesting to see if Microsoft either reduces the cost or increases the value of the XBOX to overcome this.

Posted by: Dan tdaxp | Wednesday, January 09, 2008

I'm pulling hard for the "increase the value" choice.

Posted by: Jay@Soob | Wednesday, January 09, 2008

You must not be paying attention to the 360 world... or haven't you heard of their work to bring IPTV to it? Not to mention downloadable tv and movies in hi-def (where available).

You can fault Microsoft for plenty of things with the 360... not constantly working to make it an even better system is not one of them.

Posted by: Brendan Grant | Thursday, January 10, 2008

Jay,

I'm pretty cheap, so I'll go with lower cost. ;-)

Brendan,

Clearly, Microsoft is slowly trying to gain ground in the media war, while Sony is slowly traing to gain ground in the gameplay war.

Posted by: Dan tdaxp | Thursday, January 10, 2008

"I'm pulling hard for the 'increase the value' choice."

As far as the Xbox library is concerned, I can't argue, but if you are in a situation where you also game on the PC then it is irrelevant. I image most of you don't, but it is still important to point out.

"I'm pretty cheap, so I'll go with lower cost. ;-)"

In which case you still need to take nickel and diming into consideration, too. ;-)

Posted by: Jeffrey James | Tuesday, January 15, 2008

Jeffrey,

Well said.

The victory of BluRay over HD-DVD multiple the impact of news stories like these

"Xbox Live Status Watch: Day 24" [1]
"Now You Can Watch As PC Games Are Streamed To Your PS3" [2]

[1] http://kotaku.com/344832/
[2] http://kotaku.com/344851/now-you-can-watch-as-pc-games-are-streamed-to-your-ps3

Posted by: Dan tdaxp | Tuesday, January 15, 2008

"In terms of more features, or simply not having to pay 50 bucks a year for a p2p gaming service that brakes down over the holidays and not having to send the console in multiple times, like my brother has."

Hah. Pretty much all of those. I'm on my second console having returned the first after it freaked out and started blinking error codes at me.

Posted by: Jay@Soob | Tuesday, January 15, 2008

XBOX Live "Gold" really bothers me... My PS2 still works exactly the same way it did when I bought it, with only a new game purchased every year or so. With "Gold," you're locked into one $60 purchase a year... really drives up the cost of ownership.

Posted by: Dan tdaxp | Tuesday, January 15, 2008

Thanks! It's very useful information!

Posted by: seo agency | Wednesday, November 24, 2010

Accounting software is presented by different types. Certainly, it is difficult to choose. Could anyone advise, which factors should be taken into consideration?

Posted by: accounting software | Monday, March 14, 2011