« A fun game to watch | HomePage | Some thoughts, minutes before sleep »

Sunday, September 23, 20071190565833

Trackback Spam

Probably a hundred false "track backs" -- a type of spam that hurts blogs -- have been getting through my blog service provider's (blogspirit's) filters a day. This has been going on for a week.

What's most annoying is blogspirit's terrible (read: nonexistent) communication with its clients. What's going on? Technical incompetence? An attempt at installing a new system? A shakedown by the internet mafia? What?

Blogspirit: Bad service, worse communication.

Comments

I don't know, it was kind of nice revisiting past comments. Could there actually be a use or worth for spam? Ha!

Posted by: Larry Dunbar | Sunday, September 23, 2007

I'm going to go with "internet mafia." And I say you should go up against them -- they're likely the most ineffective mafia ever, because it's very difficult to break one's enemies' kneecaps via email. ;)

Posted by: fl | Sunday, September 23, 2007

Or the Military-Sysadmin Industrial complex has expanded and in retaliation for your blogging about your problems with DHS due to your schools screwing up... you get this in return.

Who needs British commandos blowing up bridges when you’ve got blog spam?

Posted by: Brendan | Sunday, September 23, 2007

And no need for implausible hiding places!

Posted by: Dan tdaxp | Sunday, September 23, 2007

blogspirit has other problems as well. I've had it happen several times where I would click on a comment to the right to catch up on a thread-- only to bring up a page dating back to before my own last comment.

Every so often, in a fit of ego, I think about starting my own blog. If I ever give in to that fit, I won't be using blogspirit.

Posted by: Michael | Monday, September 24, 2007

Michael,

Blogspirit has directly refused my request to add a white list of users. And their spam filter is really, really suspicious. Yet all these trackbacks get through.

Brendan,