« George Bush Really Grinds My Gears | HomePage | Cooperation »

Thursday, October 13, 20051129229700

Larry Dunbar on Mujahid Humor

"Hi Dan, You just PISRRed the enemy," by Larry Dunbar , tdaxp, 13 October 2005, http://tdaxp.blogspirit.com/archive/2005/07/09/dan-abu-td-axp-al-iksperiyenciyya-mujahidi.html#c296954.

No Longer Feared 'Freedom' Fighters?

My dress-up as an Muslim holy warrior has been getting some interesting responses, noticing, jokes, a death threat, etc. But the most creative contribution came from Larry Dunbar. His thoughts:

Hi Dan,

You just PISRRed the enemy. But then you probably know that. These images are your attempt to Subvert-Reorient-Reharmonize and maybe even to Isolate the enemy.

Implicit laws form and maintain an organization. With a terrorist organization such as Al Qaeda these laws take the form of pictures or, in other words, images inside the head. These images so far include a tall Arab calmly telling the world how he is going to strike and destroy the greatest powers in the world. They show the destruction of symbols of that power taken of the WTC on 9/11. They maintain these images with pictures of burnt out cars and craters. These images are also maintained by videos of suicide bombers before they attack, IED’s going off and any other successful acts attributed to the Al Qaeda organization. The need for these images is so important that if you were to replace the image of the burning constitution on your blog with a terrorist holding a bunny rabbit, or some other offensive image, my guess is your site, if not you personally, would suffer a vertical attack of some kind. Al Qaeda could not afford to have this kind of image of themselves, if your blog still is as relevant as you said it once was.

The OODA loop of this kind of organization is unlike any other. For one thing it is very slow. For another, instead of looping back to Orientation, Al Qaeda loops theirs back to Observation. They only have to go through the Orientation strategy as they Decide and carry out the Act. Because the image of the Act is so important, failure cannot be tolerated. That is one reason they like car bombs so well. Not only does it create an image that lasts inside the heads of the communities and families of the car bombers, but also they are highly successful. Because this organization practices such an old form of warfare, I call this type of warfare Zero Generation Warfare (ZGW). It gets its strength from its simplicity. It doesn’t need a lot of dogma, simply a successful plan that will produce an image that will give its members a feeling of importance or belonging. When this type of organization becomes too successful and the acts are seen not to be important, the organization simply disappears.

I need some time to think before I try to answer this. Anyone else?

Comments

Dan! You and I need to get together for a Mujahadeen party! I have a Keffiyeh too, original Syrian and all! Don't have an AK yet, however when my permanent residence becomes the US again, being the Georgian that I am, I'll surely invest in some firepower.

And if you don't believe it, then you better kill me now, because I'll put a jihad on you too.

Posted by: Chirol | Thursday, October 13, 2005

What! all my hyperlinks are gone! Not allowed in your comments eh?

Posted by: Chirol | Thursday, October 13, 2005

Chirol,

LOL -- you know you are in the right-wing (or Islamobolshevik! or Chavezista!) blogosphere when you are planning AK47 parties :)

Blogspirit removes encoded HTML for comments, but if you just copy-and-paste the URLs there should be no problem.

Looks like blogspirit has recovered from the outage -- finally!!

Posted by: Dan tdaxp | Friday, October 14, 2005

No, I'm not planning to get an AK. They are cheap and easy to find, but waste ammo like crazy, are inaccurate and heat up too fast. Chirol is rather a Glock fan =)

Posted by: Chirol | Friday, October 14, 2005

New blogosphere competition:
(Try to get all the blogs in the network to do it!)

Let's all have a photo contest on who can tick off al Qadea and their ilk the most! The judging factor will be praise/hate comments! Catholicgauze blog may come back just for this!

Posted by: Catholicgauze | Friday, October 14, 2005

Larry Dunbar is rather confused. The OODA loop always routes feedback from action back to Observation; how can you Orient yourself without Observation? Check wikipedia for a good, if idiosyncratic, introduction to the subject.

Second Larry Dunbar confusion: "Zero-generation warfare" vs. "Fourth-generation warfare" has nothing to do with the technology involved. The type of warfare used by al Qaida is 4GW, largely because the physical element is the least important. He's right, they do rely heavily on images, but I disagree you would get any retailiation for being a muhajateddymaester. They rely on repetition of images, in the form of carbombs, etc. Vast repetition means low budget; hence the low technology. 4GW is war on a primarily moral level; lose the battle, but win the war. One image or two, even in one of the "top 500 blogs in the world", isn't going to dent their confidence.

OTOH, if we ALL started doing it ....

BTW, also check wikipedia's entry on William Lind for a good introduction to 4GW.

Posted by: Bill | Thursday, December 01, 2005

"Larry Dunbar is rather confused. The OODA loop always routes feedback from action back to Observation; how can you Orient yourself without Observation?"

Thank you Bill, I am confused but I am working towards better understanding.
Under a slow OODA feed, the OODA loop always routes back to Observation. However, I believe this doesn't always happen, especially during combat operations in the air. I think this, at least partly, was how Col. Boyd became so successful in combat. When you enter your opponent's OODA loop, the most successful place to function is between his orientation and decision-making process. When you get inside his loop and make the decision for him and before he does, because he doesn't "see" that his condition has change, only that his decision was made by someone else, he goes back to his orientation because he still believes it was correct and he only needs to make a different decision. He is destroyed by this decision.

I believe this happens all the time in real live. We don't stop and "see" our situation as it really is, only what our orientation permits us to "see". As you suggest it usually is the wrong thing to do.

I think what I meant was that once a group like Al Qaeda has observed a target, they only have to keep coming back to the orientation process as conditions change. Let us suppose during an assassination attempt something unexpected happens to interfere with their plans. I don't believe a team goes back and re observes the situation, they simply reorient themselves, make a decision and act. Of course, it could be said that we observe all the time or that the assassination team was only "reacting" to a change. Yes, I am confused.

"Second Larry Dunbar confusion: "Zero-generation warfare" vs. "Fourth-generation warfare" has nothing to do with the technology involved."

True enough. However, when they separate out the different generations of war, it seems to be by technological advancement. While groups like Al Qaeda use technology, I believe their OODA loop is very short and fast. Their observation my take years, but they flow with the speed of true believers.

"even in one of the "top 500 blogs in the world", isn't going to dent their confidence."

Ya I know, but don't tell Dan!

Posted by: Larry Dunbar | Saturday, May 27, 2006

Be sure to keep your eyes open for my special series on variations of the OODA loop, part of tdaxp SummerBlog '06!

Posted by: Dan tdaxp | Saturday, May 27, 2006